PDA

View Full Version : Who has the right-of-way?

JOHN ROUNTREE 41449
04-07-2015, 11:46 AM
"You just called your entry into the pattern at a non-towered airport on a 45 degree to downwind and shortly after another airplane calls a 5 mile final for your runway. Who has the right of way and how do you handle this situation?"

Don't know then go to this link to learn the anwser: http://www.pilotworkshop.com/tips/pilot_traffic_rules.htm

STEVE CRAFT 41267
05-29-2015, 01:59 AM
John....Interesting question. Before I went to the link I knew the answer. Or thought I did. I disagree with the author here. The first person to comment, "lensming", stated exactly what I was thinking. Using the author's logic, what stops a pilot from calling final 20 miles out and then expecting others to get out of his way ? I read something once that has stuck with me. It was about reading the regulations for not only what it says, but also for understanding the 'spirit' of that regulation. I think the regulation you bring up is written as it should be. My interpretation of the 'spirit' of the regulation is that the aircraft on final is on a REASONABLE final...as if in the pattern, or not really more than a mile out if on a straight-in. Anyway....just my thoughts at 4:00 am in Cincinnati. Thanks for the review. Steve