View Poll Results: Which one should Dr. Charnov discuss first?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Brief History of the Evolution of the Concepts and Development of Rotary- Wing Flight from Ancient China Through the Autogiro of Juan de la Cierva

8 21.05%
  • From Rolf von Bahr to Jukka Tervamaki: The Scandinavian Influence on European Gyroplane History

0 0%
  • Gerard Post Herrick - America's Unforgettable "Forgotten" Convertiplane Pioneer

1 2.63%
  • Deception, Obscurity and Irony in the Popular Rotorcraft Movement: Why the British Rotorcraft Association Did Not Develop...

1 2.63%
  • James Bond and Wing Commander Kenneth Wallis: "Little Nellie and the Creation of an Iconic Image

2 5.26%
  • A Critical Re-Examination of the Franklin Institute Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting of October 28-29, 1938: Facts and Myths...

0 0%
  • The Last Autogiro: Skyway Engineering AC-35 of 1961 - 1935

3 7.89%
  • The Buhl "Pusher" Autogiro of 1931: A Critical Reappraisal

5 13.16%
  • From The Cierva C.4 To The Cartercoper: An Analysis Of How The Autogiro Became The Gyroplane

4 10.53%
  • Autogiro/Gyroplane History In Magazine Covers - 1925 - 2010

0 0%
  • The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of the Autogiro/Gyroplane As Seen in the Popular Media 1925 - 2011

4 10.53%
  • The Franklin Institute Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting of October 28 - 29, 1938: Facts and Myths Of An Historical Gathering

1 2.63%
  • Wing Commander Kenneth H. Wallis (April 26, 1916 - September 2, 2013): The Triumphs, Tragedy and Enigma of an Extraordinary Life in Autogyro Aviation

7 18.42%
  • The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of the Autogiro/Gyroplane As Reflected In the Popular Media" (historic Hollywood movie clips)

2 5.26%

Thread: Which presentation would you like to see next?

PRA Secretary JOHN ROUNTREE 41449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Which presentation would you like to see next?

Please vote for the presentation you would like to see FIRST.
    You can vote for only one.
    The one that has the most votes will be shown first.
    Then we will post another thread in this forum remove the one that was presented and vote again until done.

Note:
    #4 and #6 were over the 150 character limit so here is a list of all for your review.

1) "A Brief History of the Evolution of the Concepts and Development of Rotary- Wing Flight from Ancient China Through the Autogiro of Juan de la Cierva"

2) "From Rolf von Bahr to Jukka Tervamaki: The Scandinavian Influence on European Gyroplane History"

3) "Gerard Post Herrick - America's Unforgettable "Forgotten" Convertiplane Pioneer"

4) "Deception, Obscurity and Irony in the Popular Rotorcraft Movement: Why the British Rotorcraft Association Did Not Develop as the Popular Rotorcraft Movement of Igor Bensen"

5) "James Bond and Wing Commander Kenneth Wallis: "Little Nellie and the Creation of an Iconic Image"

6) "A Critical Re-Examination of the Franklin Institute Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting of October 28 - 29, 1938: Facts and Myths Surrounding the Foundations of Autogiro/Convertiplane/Helicopter Development in America and Europe"

7) "The Last Autogiro: Skyway Engineering AC-35 of 1961 - 1935"

8) "The Buhl "Pusher" Autogiro of 1931: A Critical Reappraisal"

9) "From The Cierva C.4 To The Cartercoper: An Analysis Of How The Autogiro Became The Gyroplane"

10) "Autogiro/Gyroplane History In Magazine Covers - 1925 - 2010"

11) "The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of the Autogiro/Gyroplane As Seen in the Popular Media 1925 - 2011"

12) "The Franklin Institute Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting of October 28 - 29, 1938: Facts and Myths Of An Historical Gathering"

13) "Wing Commander Kenneth H. Wallis (April 26, 1916 - September 2, 2013): The Triumphs, Tragedy and Enigma of an Extraordinary Life in Autogyro Aviation"

VHS presentation:

14) "The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of the Autogiro/Gyroplane As Reflected In the Popular Media" (historic Hollywood movie clips)

I would love to see more about the Rotordyne. I have seen some video that Terry Brandt had. It was more complete than what I have found on the web. I think there is plenty here to have a good book or even a movie.

PRA Secretary JOHN ROUNTREE 41449's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Micheal
    Bruce is going to love to hear that, unless he has a copy.
    I know he as information on the Rotordyne and I'll bet many young people do not know what it was?

PRA Vice President Tim O`Connor 38872's Avatar
    Dr C. has a great .pdf about the Rotordyne.

Gentlemen:
    I will try to attach the .pdf about the Rotodyne I wrote some time ago - but, it can be found at http://www.pra.org/publicdl/Historic...0bruce%20c.pdf.
    There are several good sources for the Rotodyne story. See the following, especially David Gibbings M.B.E. book FAIREY ROTODYNE which for sale on eBay - David was a junior testbed engineer on the Rotodyne and his book is definitive, but these are also very, very good:

Wood, Derek Project Cancelled: British Aircraft That Never Flew.
    Indianapolis/New York: The Bobbs-Merrill Company Inc., 1975; Charnov, Bruce
    H. “The Fairey Rotodyne: An Idea Whose Time Has Come – Again – Part I” Fly
    Gyro! September/October 2001 pp. 4 – 7; “The Fairey Rotodyne: An Idea Whose
    Time Has Come – Again Part II” Fly Gyro! Nov/Dec 2001 pp. 4 –7 “The Fairey
    Rotodyne: An Idea Whose Time Has Come – Again Part III” Fly Gyro!
    March/April 2002 pp. 4 – 8; Harrison, Jean–Pierre “Fairey Rotodyne” Air
    Classics. Vol. 22, No. 44 April 1996 pp. 44 – 47, 60 – 62, 64 – 66, 79 – 80; Gibbings,
    David “The Fairey Rotodyne: Technology Before Its Time? Cierva Memorial
    Lecture. London, England: The Royal Aeronautical Society October 7, 2003;
    “The Fairey Rotodyne: Too Much, Too Soon” paper presented at the From
    Autogiro to Gyroplane: The Past, Present and Future of an Aviation Industry
    Conference at Hofstra University April 25 – 26, 2003, printed in Charnov, Bruce H. and David Klein (eds.) From Autogiro to Gyroplane Conference Proceedings. Hempstead, NY: Hofstra University 2004; Gibbings, David Fairey Rotodyne. Stroud, Gloucest-ershire, England: The History Press 2009; The Fairey Rotodyne. (digital book) Somerset, England: 2006 “Rotodyne, the Airliner Whose Hour Came Too Soon” Proceedings: Society of Flight Engineers 26th Annual Symposium Berlin June 1995; Hislop George S. “The Rotodyne Reviewed” Flight. Vol. 74 No. 2599 November 14, 1958 pp. 758 -759; The Fairey Rotodyne. London, England: The Helicopter Association of Great Britain and The Royal Aeronautical Society (paper presented on November 7, 1958); “The Fairey Rotodyne – Nearly The Answer.” West Coast Aviator. September/October 1995; “Fairey Story: The Sad Saga of the Fairey Rotodyne” Wingspan International. Issue No. 8 September/October 2001 pp. 60 – 64; Lambermont, Paul M., and Anthony Pirie Helicopters and Autogyros of the World. Rev. ed. New York: A. S. Barnes 1970; London: Cassell, 1958, 1970 Previous edition: New York: A. S. Barnes: 1959 Introduction by Igor Sikorsky pp. 115 – 117; Trenter, S. C. The History, Operation and Application of the Autogyro. (Unpublished Final Year Project – The University of Birmingham, School of Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering) 1997 p. 35; “The Fairey Rotodyne” Air Pictorial. October 1956; “The Fairey Rotodyne” Air Pictorial. December 1957 (cover); Taylor, John W. R. “The Fairey Rotodyne” Meccano Magazine. Vol. XLIII No. 7 July 19, 1958 pp. 311 – 313, 354; Robb, Raymond L. “Hybrid Helicopters: Compounding the Quest for Speed” Vertiflite. Vol. 52 No. 2 Summer 2006 pp. 30 – 54; Taylor, John W. R. “The Fairey Rotodyne – An Essential Military Vehicle” Air Pictorial. Vol. 21 No. 2 February 1959 pp. 34 – 35, 37; “Artist’s Impression of the “Fairey Aviation Company Rotodyne Helicopter” Radio and Hobbies. (Australian Magazine) September 1953; “Fairey Rotodyne” (photo advertisement) MACH Magazine (Sabena) Les Ailes Commerciales Belges. 3

Being a newbie, I want to see all I can. I'll let the more experienced pick.