Thread: Limit to characters in a post?

Limit to characters in a post?

I posted on the Hangar Talk forum. Cut off last half of my post. thought it was because I used Italics! But, could not get whold post in one post.

I played with posting - on the Manufacturer / Magni forum. What I found out is that it is not numbers of characters limited. It does not like superscript characters - like quotes or apostrophes. It will stop posting at that point. Apostrophes in the link code do not bother it. I was successful to post if I removed all superscript characters.

Greg, I'm playing around on here to see what I can break and thought I'd try to duplicate your problem. So, I'm going to paste your post where you had the limitation problem more than once to see if there is a character limitation and then add special characters to verify that is what is breaking the post. I'm posting this using the quick reply and if I can't paste the amount of text that I want here then I'll try the Go Advanced and see if I can there. Okay, I found the character limitation by pasting your post something like 4 times and when I tried to submit a reply I got an error message saying that The text that you have entered is too long (xxxxxx characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long. So, we now know that you can't post over ten thousand characters. I'm going to keep massaging this post by deleting text until I get to a point where I'm under tem thousand characters. Okay, I deleted text until a reply was finally posted. But the post cut off a bunch of text in the process. This was with the quick reply so I'll try the same thing using Go Advanced.

AC 90-116 Second Pilot Phase I[INDENT] If you are building a gyroplane and hope to be flying your Phase I flight test 40 hours soon, you might want to review a new FAA Advisory Circular AC 90-116. This is a new advisory that allows a second pilot when flying some of the flight test hours - to be safer. But, it has a catch - doesn't work for gyroplanes!

Dean says, okay, this is totally crazy! When I edited this post and saved it, with the additional text I had added, I find that it is taking all the text I want. I'm using Word to do a character count and at this point I'm close to four thousand characters.

Okay, at this point, if this saves, Word tells me that there are close to nine thousand characters plus spaces. Now to see if it will save! Okay, it saved to now I want to see if special characters truncates the text. I'll make another post but cutting a pasting this one into it for the test.

I'm going to repeat a bunch of garbage by pasting it at the end of this post until the Forum won't accept the post and see what the word count is at that point.

I'm going to repeat a bunch of garbage by pasting it at the end of this post until the Forum won't accept the post and see what the word count is at that point.

A couple years ago, the NTSB suggested to the FAA that there were too many accidents in E-AB aircraft. One of their suggestions was to allow an experienced pilot to fly along with the new builder pilot (BP) in the Phase I flight test period - a large percentage of E-AB accidents happen during the initial Phase I flight hours where the rules basically encourage the new or less experienced pilot to fly his/her own test flight hours - SOLO.

Both EAA Sport Pilot (Nov 2014) and now Kitplanes (Dec 2014) magazines have published announcements of this new, approved AC. On the surface, this would seem like a good move..... But, not so much for the world of gyroplanes.

I sent the following Letter to the Kitplanes Editor on this subject - also sent a similar letter to the EAA Editor:

I didn't know there was a limit to posts. Here's the article:

Article: Souls On Board:
    In my opinion, this is another glaring example of FAA fixed wing tunnel vision

Greg, I'm playing around on here to see what I can break and thought I'd try to duplicate your problem. So, I'm going to paste your post where you had the limitation problem more than once to see if there is a character limitation and then add special characters to verify that is what is breaking the post. I'm posting this using the quick reply and if I can't paste the amount of text that I want here then I'll try the Go Advanced and see if I can there. Okay, I found the character limitation by pasting your post something like 4 times and when I tried to submit a reply I got an error message saying that The text that you have entered is too long (xxxxxx characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long. So, we now know that you can't post over ten thousand characters. I'm going to keep massaging this post by deleting text until I get to a point where I'm under tem thousand characters.

AC 90-116 Second Pilot Phase I[INDENT] If you are building a gyroplane and hope to be flying your Phase I flight test 40 hours soon, you might want to review a new FAA Advisory Circular AC 90-116. This is a new advisory that allows a second pilot when flying some of the flight test hours - to be safer. But, it has a catch - doesn't work for gyroplanes!

A couple years ago, the NTSB suggested to the FAA that there were too many accidents in E-AB aircraft. One of their suggestions was to allow an experienced pilot to fly along with the new builder pilot (BP) in the Phase I flight test period - a large percentage of E-AB accidents happen during the initial Phase I flight hours where the rules basically encourage the new or less experienced pilot to fly his/her own test flight hours - SOLO.

Both EAA Sport Pilot (Nov 2014) and now Kitplanes (Dec 2014) magazines have published announcements of this new, approved AC. On the surface, this would seem like a good move..... But, not so much for the world of gyroplanes.

I sent the following Letter to the Kitplanes Editor on this subject - also sent a similar letter to the EAA Editor:

Last edited by DEAN DOLPH 8907; 01-02-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Testing the posting character limit

Okay, I'm pasting my previous post here and adding special characters to see if it cause the post to be truncated. I saved this at this point because the quick reply box wasn't showing every thing I pasted. But when I looked at the post it was all there! That reply box definitely has a character limit so I suggest that anyone wanting to make a long post use the Go advanced box. I see the editing menu doesn't offer any special characters so I'll try the Go Advanced page and see if it does. I had to delete some of the text at the end of this post because I hit the 10 K character limit with this additional text!

Greg, I'm playing around on here to see what I can break and thought I'd try to duplicate your problem. So, I'm going to paste your post where you had the limitation problem more than once to see if there is a character limitation and then add special characters to verify that is what is breaking the post. I'm posting this using the quick reply and if I can't paste the amount of text that I want here then I'll try the Go Advanced and see if I can there. Okay, I found the character limitation by pasting your post something like 4 times and when I tried to submit a reply I got an error message saying that The text that you have entered is too long (xxxxxx characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long. So, we now know that you can't post over ten thousand characters. I'm going to keep massaging this post by deleting text until I get to a point where I'm under tem thousand characters. Okay, I deleted text until a reply was finally posted. But the post cut off a bunch of text in the process. This was with the quick reply so I'll try the same thing using Go Advanced.

AC 90-116 Second Pilot Phase I[INDENT] If you are building a gyroplane and hope to be flying your Phase I flight test 40 hours soon, you might want to review a new FAA Advisory Circular
    AC 90-116. This is a new advisory that allows a second pilot when flying some of the flight test hours - to be safer. But, it has a catch - doesn't work for gyroplanes!

Dean says, okay, this is totally crazy! When I edited this post and saved it, with the additional text I had added, I find that it is taking all the text I want. I'm using Word to do a character count and at this point I'm close to four thousand characters.

Okay, at this point, if this saves, Word tells me that there are close to nine thousand characters plus spaces. Now to see if it will save! Okay, it saved to now I want to see if special characters truncates the text. I'll make another post by cutting a pasting this one into it for the test.

Greg, I'm playing around on here to see what I can break and thought I'd try to duplicate your problem. So, I'm going to paste your post where you had the limitation problem more than once to see if there is a character limitation and then add special characters to verify that is what is breaking the post. I'm posting this using the quick reply and if I can't paste the amount of text that I want here then I'll try the Go Advanced and see if I can there. Okay, I found the character limitation by pasting your post something like 4 times and when I tried to submit a reply I got an error message saying that The text that you have entered is too long (xxxxxx characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long. So, we now know that you can't post over ten thousand characters. I'm going to keep massaging this post by deleting text until I get to a point where I'm under tem thousand characters.

AC 90-116 Second Pilot Phase I[INDENT] If you are building a gyroplane and hope to be flying your Phase I flight test 40 hours soon, you might want to review a new FAA Advisory Circular
    AC 90-116. This is a new advisory that allows a second pilot when flying some of the flight test hours - to be safer. But, it has a catch - doesn't work for gyroplanes!

Last edited by DEAN DOLPH 8907; 01-02-2015 at 10:46 PM.

PRA Secretary JOHN ROUNTREE 41449's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bummer; it is a known bug!

I'm working with them to fix it now.

Here are two temp work arounds I'd like you to try with the same text.
    See the button in the editor's header with the 'A/A' that is WYSIWYG or what you see is what you get.
    Click that and try and paste it in and let me know.

2nd work around that is suppose to work is to copy it into a plain text editor like windows 'Note Pad' then copy the plain text version into the thread.

Here is a link I finally found that pointed me to the bug report. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-does-not-work
    Last edited by JOHN ROUNTREE 41449; 01-02-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spell

Okay, rather than paste my previous looooong post as I intended, I've decided to just play around with special characters here and see if I can duplicate Greg's experience with the special characters truncating the post.

Greg said he had problems with using apostrophes and quotes so lets see what happens if I use them. "I'll start off using quotes and I'm not sure what to use to demonstrate whether apostrophes are causing a problem." Now to save this and see what happens. I'll come back and edit this to report that result if it isn't obvious. "Well, it is obvious that the quotes didn't cause me any problem but maybe it is 'cause (I used an apostrophe, I think!) I misread or misinterpreted what Greg reported. Now, I'll test the subscript and superscript to see if that causes truncation. You can only get these special characters from the Go Advanced text box.

Well I tried but couldn't duplicate Greg's problem. I do see one feature missing that I used on Rotary Forum and that is the preview before posting. However, there is a paste from Word feature in the Go Advanced menu that may allow one to compose and then come here and paste from there and keep doing it until you get it right. I'll let someone else test that! Whoops, I see from the Go Advanced screen that the 'Preview Changes' button is available; it isn't on the Quick Reply screen.
    Last edited by DEAN DOLPH 8907; 01-02-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    OK I wrote a patch myself. I do not expect it to work but need it test without doing anything at least once.

Log out first so the A/A WYSIWYG button is not pressed.

Thank you now increasing the 1000 character limit if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN ROUNTREE 41449 View Post
    Bummer; it is a known bug!

I'm working with them to fix it now.

Here are two temp work arounds I'd like you to try with the same text.
    See the button in the editor's header with the 'A/A' that is WYSIWYG or what you see is what you get.
    Click that and try and paste it in and let me know.

2nd work around that is suppose to work is to copy it into a plain text editor like windows 'Note Pad' then copy the plain text version into the thread.

Here is a link I finally found that pointed me to the bug report. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-does-not-work
    John, I didn't have any problem (if one can believe Word's character with spaces count) in posting close to the 10 K limit or using special characters. I did have a problem, as I reported, in using the Quick Reply box to accept a large amount of text although when posted it was all there. Using the Go Advanced screen seems to assure there won't be any problems.

I am using the WYSIWYG option from 'Miscellaneous Option' in the General settings and don't see where it is causing me a problem. Problem solving or not, I agree that using Word or a text editor to compose a post of any length is and then cutting/pasting is a better way to create posts. And the word/space count on Word comes in handy in this case.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Dean without volunteers help I could never get this much done so quickly!!